What is this?
Briefly: I wrote down here all that I needed for creating my cycling website, and keeping it running swiftly, and securely. How to make a (WordPress) website, security, backups, finding good web-hosting, website-optimization (“speed” and the famous “SEO”), privacy etc.
Don’t let the “Spartan” design fool you – there are over 100 informative articles here!
Where do I start?
- Here’s a complete list of the website contents – logically sorted by topics.
That’s a good place to start and find what interests you.
- There’s also a search box in the top-right corner – powered by Google, so it is rather smart.
- Finally, there’s a menu at the top, with a list of topics.
What can I expect?
The basic idea is to explain even the most complicated things so that the absolute beginners can understand them.
I think it is great when you can build and maintain your website (and computer) on your own, with minimal costs. Why?
- You are less dependent on the others (developers, hosting providers, technical support etc.).
- By reducing costs, you are also less dependent on any sponsors – so you can remain objective and honest with yourself and the others (if that’s your thing, to me that’s important). Without the need to make any paid reviews, or sponsored articles where even the bad products get praised, etc.
- Learning new things is fun. At least for me – I thoroughly enjoy figuring stuff out and experimenting.
If you have any questions, use the comment section below each article, or the Q & A page.
Most articles here are for my own personal reminder (“how do I do this-and-that”), or for answering the questions I get frequently (so I don’t have to explain the same stuff over, and over again 🙂 ). Some articles are very long, but most have a table of contents at the beginning, so you can jump straight to the part that interests you.
I try to keep this as up-to-date, objective, and informative as possible. If you find any errors, don’t hesitate to note them in the comment section. Likewise, since English is not my native, if you find any “bed spilling,” feel free to let me know so I can correct it. This way you are helping make this even better and more useful for all the visitors.
Companies supporting this website are listed under “Partners.” My main condition when discussing sponsorship is that I remain independent: writing only what I really think (about any product), and not writing what I don’t think. Those listed as “Partners” understand and support this.
Disclaimer: I am not, nor do I claim to be a WordPress, or a web-hosting expert. Take all the information provided here as: “to the best of my knowledge,” or “what’s worked for me so far.” Nothing more, nothing less. Any additions, and especially corrections are more than welcome.
Frequently asked questions
This site is dedicated to website, and computer-related topics, but you could visit this page if you are interested to find out a bit more about me. Some other things people often ask:
- Why is this called “BikeGremlin?”
- What is “Mostly harmless ™ ” ?
(links to my cycling-related website)
- How can I post a question, or a comment?
- What if I need urgent help/advice?
- Where do I find you to drop by for a beer/coffee? (cyclng-related website link)
Almost forgot: when I recommend a particular product, I often use an Amazon affiliate link, and “as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Now that legal disclaimer is out of the way, you can see: why BikeGremlin uses Amazon affiliate links (link to my cycling-related website).
That’s it. Enjoy. 🙂